Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Client of Month January - *ALL STAR* - Howard Maziar, M.D.


Though all of our clients and "clients of the month" are special, on occasion one has to be recognized as an All Star.  To be an Fitness Together North Buckhead All Star, you had to have been a Client of the Month once before and demonstrate a 'going above and beyond' attitude toward health, fitness, AND Fitness Together.  This month I'm pointing out an All Star as our Client of the Month- It is Howard Maziar, M.D.

Dr. Howard Maziar is a very notable psychiatrist in the Atlanta community.  Admittedly, Howard broke a paradigm that I had about many M.D.'s that I thought were "untrainable".  Unlike many M.D.'s I have worked with before, Howard had no ego (many M.D.'s can be quite stubborn) and truly encapsulated what we had to offer.  He understands that fitness is not about the aesthetics as much as the real purpose.  Sure, he will tell you that he looks better than he ever has.  Friends and family who know him will share with me the incredible difference they see in him.  However, Howard will tell you how great he feels, how much energy he has, how much more confident he is, etc.  

Beyond his accomplishments, Howard has been among our greatest supporters.  He has participated in the majority of events provided by Fitness Together North Buckhead.  On one occasion he even volunteered as a road guard to direct traffic away from a 1-mile run test we were doing for clients one time.  He talks about us to friends and family.  He is very friendly with other clients of whom he also encourages.  

Howard in our commercial video
The Complete Fitness Solution

He also walks the walk.  He comes in frequently, reschedules when he misses a session, he has been open to everything we have to offer... I just cannot say enough about Howard and his support, generosity, and accomplishments!  

Below is what he has to say:


Why do you like Fitness Together?
I had never previously been able to be consistent with an exercise program. I always knew what I needed to do but, despite my good intentions, never seemed to do it. The structure and accountability that FT provides has enabled me to sustain a program. The friendliness, encouragement and expertise of Dennis, Katie, and Kelly motivate me to achieve results that I never thought I would. While I “complain” to them about how “demanding” they are; in reality, I am very appreciative of their assistance. I enjoy the explanations of why certain exercises are useful and what muscle groups are involved.The amount of knowledge they have is phenomenal. It is a philosophical approach that makes sense.

Tell us some of the results you have achieved:
My physical well being has very much improved. I feel stronger and my endurance increased. I am standing up straighter ( I now hear voices saying “HEAD UP, SHOULDERS BACK, ABS IN.... STRONG AND PROUD”.  I am much more aware and respectful of my body. I am eating healthier....never thought that would happen! I have also found that not only am I more confident in my physical well being but also in other areas of my life as well. I approach my work with greater insight into the importance of physical health in regards to mental health and have been recommending exercise more often. That idea of “mind, body, and spirit” all being interconnected is true. Before FT, I just didn’t have the “body” part in order.

Tell us about any hobbies you may have:
Family, friends, and my work are my “hobbies”.  I have been actively involved in organized medicine for several years, and this year have been elected President of the Georgia Psychiatric Physicians Association. It is time consuming but very rewarding. It has to do with that idea of  “giving back” to my profession and community.

What city and state are you from?
I am actually a native Atlantan. I grew up in the Morningside area before it was a “fashionable in town neighborhood”.

Tell us about your children and/or pets:
I have two children both in Atlanta, a daughter Michelle who is 31 and works in an after school program for Hispanic children and a son, Michael who is 28 and works for a technology company. They both exercise regularly and have been instrumental (nagging) in my starting an exercise program. I kept telling them I just had to find the right situation.

Who is your significant other?
Patty Maziar. She too has been supportive of my efforts and exercises regularly. She likes to walk Chastain Park. She tells me that I’m “hot” now, and that she likes me for my body.
Howard in his ritual Wednesday morning PACK session

What is your favorite exercise?
I hate to admit it, but I like planks. How can an exercise that looks so easy be so difficult?

What is your favorite healthy food?
I like yogurt and almonds.
What is your favorite “bad” food?
I love anything fried and everything chocolate.

What is your profession?  How Long?
I am a psychiatrist in private practice in Atlanta for 33 years.

What is your favorite movie?
I liked the Matrix...made me think. The sequels, however, were terrible. Also liked Three Amigos and My Cousin Vinny (both silly and fun).

How did you discover Fitness Together?
I was “searching” and have a cousin who has been coming to FT. He recommended it...and, as it is said, “the rest is history”.

2 comments:

  1. Some years ago I worked in Big Box gyms that pushed memberships. That’s right.
    Just memberships. People would come to these well-known gyms for expert training
    only to see their hard earned money go…to memberships. They weren’t getting results
    because the only thing those Big Box gyms trainers were concerned with was getting people to sign on the bottom line.
    Atlanta Personal Trainer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howard Maziar is a Jekyll/Hyde with a huge ego. Apparently, he fooled the interviewer into thinking he's a decent man.

    ReplyDelete